Obesity Is A Political Crisis In America

Weight management is one of the greatest challenges faced by the modern generation. Obesity in particular has become a cause for concern following research studies that have revealed that a significant majority of the population might become obese by 2020.

Back in 2014, a study showed that about 36% of adults 20 years and above was obese as well as 17% of children. Diet and sedentary lifestyles have been blamed for the growing number of obese people and while there are various ways to go about preventing or managing the condition, most still struggle with obesity.

Is this political? Definitely. The lack of political will in this country to take concrete efforts to solve the obesity epidemic in the country is appalling. But in the meantime, as individuals, there are things we can do to make sure we don’

Most people acknowledge that weight management can be accomplished only though cautious dieting and regular exercise. Since obesity is caused by food and lifestyle, it can only be fought and eliminated through the same. Here is a look at some of the ways to fight obesity and maintain a healthy weight:

4 Ways to Fight Obesity and Maintain A Healthy Weight

a) Add whey protein to your diet

According to recent research studies, a diet high in protein can help prevent obesity and result in healthy weight management. Proteins contain phenylalanine that has been shown to significantly suppress appetite. This compound mainly affects the release of appetite-releasing hormones thus resulting in long hours of feeling full after meals. This does not only eliminate cravings, but also reduces the portion of food you eat.

Whey protein forms 30% of the protein found in milk, with the other 70% being casein. Whey is also a by-product of cheese making. It is basically the protein left after milk is curdled and strained. It is healthier than other protein forms and has many health benefits including weight management, bodybuilding and diabetes management. You can replace your proteins with whey or even use concentrates to help keep you full and reduce the portion of food you consume every day. If you’re looking for a value for money source of whey protein supplements, look no further than The Protein Investor.

b) Establish a routine exercise program

This might be a no brainer, but is still very important. Healthy weight is a balance between how much you consume and use up (burn). If you eat more calories than you burn, the extra will be stored in form of fat and eventually this leads to obesity. If you eat fewer calories, it may result in various health problems and reduced energy among other issues.

However, you may want to burn more calories every day if you are obese to initiate weight loss in your strive to achieve a healthy weight. Simple activities such as walking and jogging may burn some calories, but this is usually insufficient for obese people. To lose significant weight that can kick-start your road back to healthy weight, it is important to establish a workout routine. You do not necessarily need to spend hours in the gym unless you want quick results (in which case you will need to strain your muscles).

You can start by simply exercises such as jogging and 20 minutes lifting weights, squatting or performing any achievable workout that can help you burn more calories. The trick is to make workout part of your routine and burn more calories every week. In a few days, you will graduate to better workouts and maneuvers that will eventually help you lose more weight.

c) Carefully pick and plan your meals and food

As aforementioned, obesity is a diet and lifestyle related problem and nothing fixes it more efficiently than establishing a healthy diet. Your meal plan will dictate how much weight you gain or lose over the long haul. The debate over which food items to eat is one that has been around for years. Most people have an idea of what foods to avoid.

However, it is more important to know what foods to eat for a balanced diet that supports other weight loss efforts. Simply find a comprehensive list of the foods to eat and those to avoid as well as small recipe adjustment and replacements that can help you consume fewer calories. As a general rule of thumb, weight loss involves eating more fruits and greens while avoiding carbs, processed foods/ingredients and some fats. Carbs are still important for balanced diet and health so it is important to find out what carbs and portions to avoid.

Summary

In order to fight obesity, you will need to conduct an honest evaluation of your diet and lifestyle to help you understand how you ended up gaining that weight. Once you know what caused the current situation, you can work your way into a better outcome without sacrificing a lot. Nonetheless, it will involve careful meal planning and more exercises to gain a lean body.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *